"Male aloneness is male disease"
- Frederick Marx, Academy Award nominated "Hoop Dreams" Producer
MEN WORTH MEETING
"The next best thing to being wise oneself is to live in a circle of those who are." – C.S. Lewis.
Men are suffering depression, stress and loneliness at an unprecedented rate. Male suicide rates between age 30 and 60 years old have risen and 4 out of 5 suicides of all people in that age range are men! The isolation of the pandemic, a shift to online interactions, a generational shift and changing or evolving roles we play in leadership, in the workplace and at home have increased our desire to find community and connection with other men, while lowering our inclination to take the first step. The primary causes of all male deaths include heart attacks, heart disease, pulmonary disease, cancer and systemic illnesses. Stress, depression, anxiety, lack of sleep, poor nutrition, sedentary lifestyle, substance abuse, and unfulfilling social connections are all direct contributing factors to the top things that put men's lives at risk.
"A men's social group is the most inexpensive and enjoyable way to begin reducing our mortality risk."
Men WORTH Meeting has been created to bring men together who will benefit greatly through interaction.
Our Men WORTH Meeting FortisBC Energy Inc. fellowship is open to male employees working and living in the camp for the Eagle Mountain - Woodfibre Gas Pipeline Project.
The premise is simple.
A casual, structured bi-monthly get together in-person most often, for a beer, wine, coffee & or tea in a social setting where you can engage in conversation about ideas or current events, with other men at Fortis who share common ground, similar responsibilities, but not always the same viewpoints. And occasionally to try a new healthy endeavour, skill, or wellness (physical or mental) related activity.
To enjoy facilitated discussion about most everything from business, activities, finance, personal or professional interests and even current affairs – locally or globally.
To add value to other men with perspective, knowledge, community, network and support.
To build trust in a group of men who will have your back, look out for your best interests and respect your confidentiality.
What MWM is not:
This is not a self-help or support group – although there will be plenty of support for anyone who needs it.
This is not a confessional of traumas or challenges – although it is a space that it is welcome and encouraged if you need to share.
This is not a mastermind group – although you’ll likely come away with some great ideas and contacts from time to time that will help you personally or professionally
This is not book club – although reading is encouraged and sharing what you’ve read is too.
Men WORTH Meeting will consist of:
1. Two group in-person meetings per month (every second Tuesday 7pm to 8pm, location tbd – discussed at each gathering) - groups will be limited to 12 men maximum & there will likely be multiple groups.
2. One master Man WORTH Meeting session per month with a guest speaker. (This will open to our North America wide online-only members as well.) - this session will be recorded with a playback option if you cannot attend.
3. Occasional physical wellness (fitness or relaxation) or fun activities (outdoor adventure, experiences, or unique indoor skills session).
4. Mentorship opportunities - coming fall 2023
5. Future hosted activities and events